Early Memories-Harold Grigg

Harold Grigg


Early Memories-Harold Grigg
(Each member of the second generation alive in 1983 wrote their memories of the early days at Baring.)

Harold Francis Grigg 1911-1965 Written by Hazel

Born Murtoa 5/11/1911arried Hazel Bruce of Spotswood at St Luke's Church of England at Yarraville 21/10/43.

We had two daughters: Kay born at Altona 23/11/43. Married David Goodman of Deer Park at St Luke's Church of England at Yarraville 4/3/73.
Wendy born at Seddon 7/12/47. Married Lindsay Paterson of Yarraville at St St Luke's Church of England at Yarraville 24/2/68.

Harold joined the army 4/7/40 - the same day as my brother- that is how I met Harold. They both went to Caulfield for a few days then on to Mount Martha for two weeks then on to Darley. Harold was not there very long when chosen to go to Duntroon Military College for about 8 weeks. He would have been commissioned but for unfortunate mishap.

My brother went to Malaya - was Prisoner of War at Changi. Harold went back to Darley for a few weeks- then embarked for overseas- 5/4/41 (his birthday) on the Queen Mary. He was wounded when in action in Syria. Overseas he was promoted to the rank of Sergeant The first reinforcement to the 2nd /5th Bn to achieve this rank.

Harold returned from overseas in 22/8/42. Had 4 weeks leave - went north to New Guinea for 12 months.

Harold came home on leave and we were married. We went to Patchewollock for the first time and I was made very welcome. Harold had 4 weeks leave.
Harold returned to New Guinea for a while- home again- then to an Instructors school at Seymore. He was awarded the second highest marks for an instructor at that stage.

Harold was at staging camp at Cowra when the Japanese (interned) attempted their escape. After that he went back to New Guinea until near the end of the war and was taken out of action as the longest serving sergeant in the 2/5 Bn.

After returning home he worked for an insurance company. Harold was one of the first members of the Newport RSL. Harold was Victorian President & Chairman of the War Services Home Committee and the Hospital Visitation Committee for a few years.

We spent quite a few holidays at Patchewollock
Grandma Walch and Granddad Walch were great to us we had many happy holidays there.

On the 12/3/65 Harold was hit by a truck at the corner of our street and died on his way to hospital.


Harold and Hazel Grigg



Go to top